Sicily Bella
Sicily collage
menu top
about Sicily
villas, tours
contact us
menu bottom

province of Agrigento map


Founded with the name of Akragas by the inhabitants of Gela in the 6th century BC., Agrigento quickly became an important centre in Magna Grecia, as can be seen from the massive remains still visible near the town. Destroyed by Carthage in 406 BC., it rose again and about two centuries later was under Roman rule. After the fall of the Roman Empire, it was dominated by the Goths and then the Byzantines (6th century), under whose rule it sharply declined until, in 829, it was taken by the Arabs, who destroyed the town only to rebuild it on a higher site. The principal ancient monuments are the Doric temples in the Valle dei Templi, dating to the 6th and 5th centuries BC., dedicated to Hercules, Olympian Jupiter, Juno, Castor, Pollux and Demeter, as well as the temple called `the Concordia', still in an excellent state of preservation. The Tomb of Terone, the Oratory of Phalaris and other small temples are also of great interest. Other monuments include the church of S. Nicola (Romanesque-Gothic, 13th century), the Duomo (14th century, with later alterations), the church of S. Spirito.



Founded in 1570 by Blasco Barresi, the master of the "Castle of Pietra d'Amico", and originally called Alessandria della Pietra, is situated on a plateau with a wonderful panorama. In 1862 it took its present name from the XVIIth century Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rock, built in the place where, according to the legend, a statue of the Virgin was found.
Back to top



Founded in 1606 by Baldassare III Naselli, Count of Comiso, who named it Aragona, in honour of his mother Beatrice Aragona Branciforti. In 1615 the Naselli family obtained the title of Princes of Aragona, and they owned the town until 1812. Recently, remains of an ancient Late-Byzantine Roman Villa have been found in the district of San Vincenzo and other remains of a Roman Villa in the district of Fontanazza. Of interest is the Baronial Palace (17th cent.), the Mother Church, The Chiesa del Carmine (18th century) and the Chiesa del Purgatorio (18th century). In the outskirts of Aragona occurs a singular volcanic phenomenon: "the Macalube". A wide mud flat where there is volcanic activity of the water clay in a myriad of tiny clay cones. A muddy mixture of methane and brackish water is discharged, giving the landscape an almost lunar appearance.
Back to top



It's origin are rather uncertain, but it was probably founded by the Arabs, who built an imposing castle at the top of the town. The high part of the town, around the castle, is typically medieval. Of interest is the Castle, S. Joseph's Church (17th-18th c.), S, Vito's Church (16th c.), The Mother Church. Burgio is famous for its pottery and as having the only bell foundry in Sicily.
Back to top



Naturally protected on a 950 mt. high crest, Caltabellota is probably the ancient Sicanian city of Triokala. The Arab "Qal'at-al-ballut" ("Rock of Oaks"), was conquered in 1090 by Count Ruggero and, here, in 1302 Federico II of Aragon signed the peace treaty with Carlo Valois which settled the war of Vespers and conceded the Sicilian Kingdom to the Aragonese. Of interest is the Mother Church, S.Francesco's church 12th c., the church of S. Maria della Pietà, the Church del Carmine 16th c., The Church of S. Agostino, the S. Pellegrino hermitage, a large building complex clinging to the Gollega rocks just out of the town.
Back to top



Several archaeological remains discovered on the slopes of Mount Cammarata, inside a number of grottoes, confirm the presence of man in extremely remote times; Sicani, Greeks, Romans and Arabs. Its history is bound to the castle, impregnable with its seven towers, given by Count Ruggero D'Altavilla to Lucia da Cammarata, who owned it until 1154. Today, only few ruins of the castle are visible.
Back to top



It probably began as the Arab hamlet of Chiudia. The present town was founded in 1629 by G. Vincenzo Maria Termini. Casteltermini is known thanks to one of the most interesting popular event in Sicily "The Sagra del Tataratà".
Back to top



The Archipelagos of the Pelagie consists of the islands of Lampedusa, Linosa and Lampione. The name Pelagie comes from the Greek word pelàghia, meaning island of the high sea. The archipelago is the southernmost extension of Italy, situated south of Pantelleria and west of Malta, nearer to the North African coast than to Sicily.
The three islands, of which Lampedusa is the biggest and most important and Lampione the smallest, form an imaginary triangle.
Lampedusa, the largest island known in ancient times as Lapadusa is, together with the uninhabited Lampione, a calcareous islands . For this reason, together with certain characteristics of the flora and fauna, the two islands seem to belong not so much to Sicily as to Africa, on whose continental shelf they do in fact lie. The island is a sort of limestone table with sheer cliffs which drop down to spectacular small bays and beaches. The Isola dei Conigli, natural reserve, is particularly interesting because sea turtles come to lay their eggs on the fine, sandy beach. The Sanctuary of Madonna di Porto Salvo, just outside the town, dates back to the crusades. Its climate, warm throughout the year, is tempered by the winds that blow winter and summer.
Linosa, called by the Romans Algusa or Aethusa, is, on the other band, of volcanic origin, as indicated by the three extinct volcanoes on the Island (Mount Red, Mount Volcano and Mount of Ponente), and thus the Island geologically belongs to Sicily. The brightly colored houses, red, yellow and blue are characteristic of the village.
Back to top



Naro probably derives its name from the Greek word Naron, meaning "river", in relation to the stream which runs nearby. In the 12th c. the Normans built the first nucleus on the top of the hill. Of interest is the Chiaramonte Castle, built in 1330, the Mother Church (1300), the baroque Church of the SS. Salvatore 16th c. and the Santuario di S. Calogero.
Back to top



Feudal property of the Chiaramonte family, who built the castle in 1353, in the 15th century, it passed into the De Caro estate and in the 16th into the Tomasi. Of interest is the Ducal Mansion (1653-1659), the Mother Church (1666) and the SS. Rosario Church.
Back to top



Racalmuto was given its name by the Arabs. "Rahal Maut" rose over the ruins of another ancient city, perhaps of Sicilian origin or as a colony of Agrigentina. The Arabs settled here and probably the small village was defended from a Castle. In 1038, the Castle was stormed from the Byzantines and, in 1087, from the Normans, that razed to the ground the village. The French Count Roberto Malcovenant, of the Normans in Sicily, was named Baron of Racalmuto. Subsequently, the land of Racalmuto was granted to the Barrese family that erected in the 1229, the important fortress of the "Castelluccio ". Of interest is the Mother Church (17th c.) and the Sanctuary of S. Maria del Monte. The Sicilian writer Leonardo Sciascia, was born in Racalmuto in 1921.
Back to top



Sambuca di Sicilia is situated in the western part of the province of Agrigento. It was founded by the Emir al Zabut, immediately after the Arab landing in 827. The "Vicoli Saraceni" demonstrates there origins that have just recently been restored and a fortress, "Mazzallakkar" on Lake Arancio. The ancient Zabut has developed both culturally and urbanistically. Of interest is Palazzo Beccatelli (18th c.), the Church of the Carmine built in 1530, the Church of the Rosario and the Saracen streets called "Vaneddi", a network of cobbled alleys and courtyards, which are perfect example of Islamic town planning.
Back to top



San Biagio Platani was founded in 1648. Very interesting are the festivities during holy week; on good Friday there is the procession of Christ to the Calvario, and on the eve preceding the resurrection, the two confraternities of the "Madunnara" and the "Signurara", put up the Ester arches decorated with bread, palm leaves, flowers, dates and rosemary. Of interest is the Baronial Mansion, the 19th c. Mother Church, and the Church of Carmelo.
Back to top



Sant'Angelo Muxaro has been identified as the mythical Sikan town of Kamikos, built for king Kocalos according to the legend by Daedalus. A vast cemetery of rock cut tombs is on the western and southern flunk of the hill, the oldest of which date to the 9th c. B.C.. Very interesting is the monumental "Tomba del Principe". The tholos shape of these tombs are reminiscent of burials in the Mycenaean civilization.
Back to top



The town is situated on the Sicani Mountains (739 m. a.s.l.), immersed in the Quisquina wood. The first inhabited village dates back to the 13th c. B.C.. Of interest is the S. Rosalia's hermitage (1760), situated on the north side of the Serra Quisquina, where the Saint lived in pray and chastity before reaching mount Pellegrino in Palermo.
Back to top



From very early on Sciacca was highly considered for the beneficial hot waters, which spring from the slopes of Mt. Kronos, today known as Monte San Calogero. In the 7th c. b.C. in fact the Selinuntines called the first nucleus Thermae Selinuntinae, while later the Romans called it Aquae Labodes. The tows was taken by the Arabs in 840 and by the Norman Count Ruggero in 1087. Of interest is the Palazzo San Giacomo Tagliavia (15th c.), the Palazzo Arone Tagliavia (XV c.), the Cathedral, the Pardo tower, Palazzo Perollo, S. Margherita Church and Carmine Church (13th c.).
Back to top


Sicily Provinces










About Sicily | Travel Sicily | Contact Us | Home - Copyright 2012. All rights reserved. Disclaimer: Prices subject to change without notice.
May contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors. These pages may be updated from time to time.

bottom element