Sicily Bella
Sicily collage
menu top
about Sicily
villas, tours
contact us
menu bottom

province of Caltanissetta map


The town lies 568 m. above sea level in the hilly region to the right of the Salso river, at the foot of San Giuliano (727 m.) in the middle of the island. The old centre is characterized by picturesque narrow winding streets, while the modern town has been built to a neat square plan. Probably a Siculo-Greek settlement, the town was occupied by the Arabs in 829 (the name Kalat-Nissa: castle of Nissa dates back to this time) and its resultant prosperity continued under Norman rule, beginning in 1087. From then on, it shared the vicissitudes of the Kingdom of Sicily, though granted in feud by the Moncada family from the 15th to 19th century. It became part of Italy in 1860. Of interest are the Duomo (16th-17th century), the Mineralogical, Palaeontological and Sulphur-Mine Museum, the Regional Archaeological Museum, the Folklore Museum and the Civic Museum. Also of interest is the baroque Palazzo Moncada, the Palazzo Vescovile, and the ruins of Castello di Pietrarossa.



Situated in the extreme west area of the Province, Acquaviva Platani was founded in the 1635 by the noble Francesco Spatafora, marquis of Roccella and prince of Maletto. Of the same year is the Mother Church.
Back to top



Bompensiere was founded at the first half of the '600 on the pre-existent place of the fief of Nadore, by Ottaviano Lanza di Trabia.
Back to top



Butera is situated on the rocky crest that dominates the plane below as far as the cosat. This dominant position of the rock suggests that it was, in prehistoric times, the site of an indigenous settlement, identifiable with the Sicanian town of Onphake. Of interest is the Castle, of probably Muslim foundation.
Back to top



Campofranco was founded in the second half of the 16th century by the baron Giovanni del Campo in the feud called Fontana delle Rose. Then it passed under the control of the Lucchesi Palli , that in the 17th century became princes of Campofranco. The area where today rises the town was very important from a miring point of view, being present a great layer of potassic salt and rock-salt widely exploited in the past. Rich of operas of art is the Mother Church, where you can admire a cloth of d'Asaro representing the decapitation of St. Giovanni.
Back to top



Delia is a small centre built in the last foreshortening of the '500, but already inhabited in remote times. In Roman epoch, where today the town rises, there was Petiliana, station of mail along the itinerary of the Emperor Antonino Pio. In the medieval epoch Delia consisted of a small hamlet situated near the Castle. The modern Delia was built between the '500 and the '600 by don Gaspare Lucchese. Among the churches of Delia, of interest is the 16th century Mother Church, St.Antonio church and the church of the Lady of the Itria, all rich of masterpieces of high value. On a cliff out of the city rises instead the Castellaccio, the medieval castle that in past was at the centre of important historical events.
Back to top



Gela had a role of first plain in the political of the 5th century B.C. and represented one of the most important ports of call of the ancient Mediterranean. Destroyed by Carthaginians and Agrigentini, Gela doesn't succeed any more to return to the ancient splendour. In the medieval epoch Fred II built in the pre-existent place a new city "Terranova". The sign and the most evident testimonies of the archaic Gela are preserved in the halls of the archaeological Museum. The historical centre of Gela is rich of medieval, neoclassical and baroque testimonies. Of interest is the 17th century Mother Church. Beyond the inhabited centre there are sandy dunes, famous for the unloading of the Allies in the night among the 9th and 10th July 1943.
Back to top



Marianopoli is placed in the northern part of the Province. The urban agglomeration, settled on a spinal-mountain between two valleys, was founded in the 18th century by the baron Della Scala.
Back to top



Mazzarino was built by the princes Branciforti probably in the '400. The historical centre presents architectural treasures of rare beauty and also precious works of art, preserved in the different churches of the city: holy Crucifix Church, Maria Santissima del Mazzaro Church, St. Ignazio Church, Capuchin Fathers' Church.
Back to top



Milena is situated in the west part of the Province. Up to the 1860 in the territory where today rises the city, there was the feud Milocca, belonging to the Fathers of the St. Martino's Monastery. In the fascist period Milocca changed name and became, although for a few time, Littoria Nissena. The definitive name of Milena was chosen in the years '30 to pay homage to the Queen Milena of Montenegro, mother of the Queen of Italy. One of the characteristic of Milena are the 14 fractions, known as Villages, or Farmhouse, or "Robbe" in local dialect. Farm, around which there were other smaller buildings, functioning as stores, stables and secondary houses.
Back to top



It rose in the 17th century in the feud Balattanza for the wish of the prince of Castelvetrano, don Diego d'Aragona. Its name derive from the fact that the surround hills, in Spring, cover themselves of yellow flowers. Montedoro was, together with many other cities of the province, a sulphur minings center between 19th and the 20th century.
Back to top



In the second half of the 16th century, under the dominion of Lanza, Mussomeli lived a period of great prosperity. Of this period are in fact many churches, convents and buildings. Its churches are rich of artistic masterpieces of rare beauty. Of interest is also the Castle built in 1370 by Manfredi III Chiaramonte.
Back to top



The first settlements go back to the époque of the Sicilian civilization. Very interesting is the vast complex of fortifications of the Disueri, of the 13th century, where is still visible the necropolis with its tholos tombs called "the caves of the Saracens". During the Greek period, Niscemi was under the control of Gela. In the 17th century the city was owned by the Branciforti family.
Back to top



Situated in a picturesque position, at 650m a.s.l, Resuttano was the Barony of the Ventimiglia in the 14th century. Then it became possession of the Duke of Campobello Joseph di Napoli, that at the beginning of the 17th century founded the inhabited centre. Of interest are the ruins of the old Castle situated in the area near the Imera Meridionale river.
Back to top



Risen in the 17th century, Riesi is a town rich of traditions. But its history is linked to the sulphur mines.
Back to top



Founded by the prince Nicolò Galletti, its origins go back to the 17th century, although the area where today rises the city was inhabited since the VI century B.C. by colonies of hellenised indigenous. The town was called, in origin, Casale Calirone, and then San Cataldo.
Back to top



Santa Caterina Villarmosa was inhabited since the Middleage It was first called Risigallo, from the name of the feud in which was founded. Of interest is the Mother Church (1717/1870).
Back to top



Founded in 1640 by Leonardo Lo Faso Pietrasanta, Serradifalco is rich of artistic and architectural masterpieces. Of interest is the Mother Church (1740) with a majestic facade and the Cappella del Calvario.
Back to top



ts history is linked to the sulphur mines. Of interest is the Mother Church (18th century) with beautiful 18th century paintings of Provenzano, and the liberty Palace in Piazza Cairoli.
Back to top



Situated on the slopes of the Mount St. Paolino, Sutera, presents a medieval urban structure. Of interest is the late-baroque Mother Church, the Church of S. Agata, the Sanctuary of St. Paolino (1615). Many are the archaeological finds discovered in the contrada Ruffo, Monte San Paolino and Pizzo San Marco.
Back to top



In 1621 the baron of Termini Imerese, don Pietro Marino, recalled a great number of colonies from the near bucolic zones, creating Terra Marini burgh. The little inhabited centre then assumed the name of Vallelunga (long valley). Of interest is the Mother Church.
Back to top



Villalba (600 m. asl) is surrounded by clayed hills. Its history goes back to the Roman epoch. But the actual town dates back to the 18th century. Of interest is the Mother Church (1848) and the Calmieri Palace of the 18th century.
Back to top

Sicily Provinces










About Sicily | Travel Sicily | Contact Us | Home - Copyright 2012. All rights reserved. Disclaimer: Prices subject to change without notice.
May contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors. These pages may be updated from time to time.

bottom element